It’s already been a few a months since we started work on the slightly crazy project of designing a spectacular manufacture movement brimming with mechanical magic, all at an affordable price.
You needn’t look further than Switzerland to find the finest experts in this type of movement. Having chosen one of the best manufacturers of movements in the country, we are now working on the architecture of our future movement.
There’s a good chance that the end result will be quite different, but here is a preliminary sketch to give you some insight into the direction we are looking to take.
FUNCTIONS: Hours, minutes, seconds (potentially a power reserve for the manual version)
CHARACTERISTICS: Precision – between +2 and +10 seconds per day / 46 hour power reserve
WHAT MAKES THE X41 PROJECT SO SPECIAL?
- A unique opportunity to take part in the development of the first community-exclusive movement
- The chance to wear a watch fitted with an exceptional movement that showcases the finest watchmaking expertise while retaining a reasonable price.
- Fully designed, manufactured and assembled in Switzerland
- Featuring architecture and design reserved exclusively for the CODE41 community
- Each part (except the regulating mechanism) machined specifically for CODE41.
- Exclusive peripheral oscillating weight (for the automatic version)
- Approximate retail price of $ 3’500 / € 3’045 with comparable models costing around $ 15’000 / € 13’045
EXCLUSIVE PERIPHERAL OSCILLATING WEIGHT
Skeleton movements often require manual rewinding, as an oscillating weight – and the various gears one requires – would “obstruct” the transparency and make the whole watch thicker. This is why our partner has developed an exclusive peripheral weight which provides all the advantages of an automatic watch while preserving the beauty, transparency and delicacy of a manual movement.
The concept of a peripheral weight has already been explored by a number of brands, but has often been abandoned because the ball bearing was too loud and not very efficient. Our case is different as, following several years of development, these problems have been resolved through machining and managing the finishing (hardening, buffing) of the components in-house to ensure the perfect size and finish. In addition, the bearing is mounted on a vibration damper to limit the noise and absorb shocks.
WHAT ARE THE PRODUCTION COSTS?
|MANUAL MOVEMENT||$ 1,100 / € 957 (minimum 500 units)||SWISS|
|AUTO MOVEMENT (peripheral weight)||$ 1,400 / € 1,217 (minimum 500 units)||SWISS|
|STEEL CASE, TRANSPARENT CASEBACK||$ 80 / € 70||CHINESE|
|LEATHER STRAP, DEPLOYMENT CLASP||$ 30 / € 26||ITALIAN/CHINESE|
|ASSEMBLY||$ 30 / € 26||SWISS|
|PACKAGING||$ 15 / € 13||CHINESE|
WHAT WILL THE RETAIL PRICES BE?
STEEL CASE – X41 MANUAL
|COST OF PRODUCTION||Approx. $ 1,255 / € 1,090|
|FUTURE RETAIL PRICE||Approx. $ 4,390 / € 3,817|
|SPECIAL LAUNCH PRICE||Approx. $ 3,290 / € 2,860|
STEEL CASE – X41 AUTOMATIC
|COST OF PRODUCTION||Approx. $ 1,555 / € 1,352|
|FUTURE RETAIL PRICE||Approx. $ 5,440 / € 4,730|
|SPECIAL LAUNCH PRICE||Approx. $ 3,990 / € 3,470|
HOW WILL WE BE ABLE TO OFFER SUCH LOW PRICES?
Our aim is to offer you a retail price of approximately $ 3’500 / € 3’045, while comparable watches cost around $ 15’000 / € 13’045, or even more. So how can we offer such low prices?
- The design of each component of the movement has been fully optimized.
- We want to order 500 movements, allowing us to reduce costs by around 35% compared to smaller quantities.
- Our policies of total transparency, a fixed profit multiplier and simplified distribution enable us to cut out the middlemen and pass the savings on to you.
SO? WHO’S INTERESTED?
As usual it’s you, dear members, who will decide whether or not this exceptional movement will see the light of day. For this project to be viable, we will need to produce an initial series of 200 watches.
RESULTS OF VOTES:
MANUAL OR AUTOMATIC?
LAUNCH PRICE: APPROX. $ 3,290 / € 2,860
WITH PERIPHERAL WEIGHT
LAUNCH PRICE: APPROX. $ 3,990 / € 3,470
HERE’S A QUICK OVERVIEW OF THE SCHEDULE:
STEP 1 – VALIDATION
MARCH 14TH, 2018
Presentation of the project and community vote.
STEP 2 – DEVELOPMENT
APRIL 18TH – MAY 16TH, 2018
Development of architecture and design.
STEP 3 – PREORDERS
JUNE 15TH, 2018
Presentation of the final design in a realistic 3D rendering. Preorders open for the first batch of 200 watches (delivery January 2019).
Priority access for our cherished founding members.